» Life as a Stay-At-Home-Dad of Triplets

Masthead header

What a Week

Wow, it’s been quite a week. We started off on Monday with K having diarrhea and just not being himself. He was very tired and just wanted to cuddle with me and sleep all day. I normally wouldn’t complain about that, except for the fact that the girls were fine and wanted to play. It was a tough spot to be in, but after a while I think the girls realized that K didn’t feel well and were content to sit and watch Elmo for a few hours. We were also very lucky to have some rainy weather, which gave me an excuse to give to the girls when they wanted to go outside. I’m not sure they understood, but they did quit asking after a while.

K’s diarrhea continued through Tuesday and into Wednesday, and was coupled with vomiting. The kid just couldn’t keep anything down. So Wednesday morning we took him into the pediatrician and were told that it was just a virus and to keep pushing fluids and he’ll eventually get better. That afternoon, after a 4 hour nap, he was starting to look better. He ate some crackers for me and drank some water. Then he begged me for milk, which I reluctantly gave him (the last vomiting episode I think was caused by milk). And he did fine with it. He even got off of my lap to play with the girls for a few minutes, and then he fell and didn’t get back up. I rushed over to see what was going on and realized that he was having a seizure. I moved him to an open part of the floor, grabbed the phone and called 911. The seizure only lasted for about two minutes, but seemed like forever. That was definitely the toughest thing I’ve ever been through.
After he came out of the seizure he was pretty much unconscious. It was very difficult to keep him from closing his eyes. Gretchen came home just as he was coming out of it. She was greeting the girls at the window as she normally does when she gets home from work, although usually it’s all three. I yelled something to the effect of “get in here now” at her and she rushed in. She took over keeping K’s attention and I went to look for the paramedics, who had just pulled up. I took the girls and put them in the pack n play that I had set up for K to sleep in earlier in the day. It worked out great, gave the paramedics room to work without having two extra toddlers circling their legs!
Gretchen went to the ER with K, and I stayed back with the girls. I started to feed them dinner (gave them pop tarts, that’s all I could think of). A neighbor came over to check on us and make sure everything was okay. After I relayed the story to her she offered to stay with the girls so that I could go to the hospital to check on K. When I got to the ER, K was awake and they were cleaning him up – he had the poo from hell. Gretch was cleaning it off of his chin. But it was okay, cause the doctors wanted a sample. They had plenty to take from. He got lots of attention. They took blood and gave him IV fluids – he didn’t even whimper when they put the IV in, such a brave little guy. He got to watch some Elmo videos on a little portable DVD player that the nurse brought in. He also got to have some goldfish crackers and teddy grahams. Then he decided that it was time for a nap, so we put him down and he fell right to sleep.
While we were in the ER we got a call from my mother-in-law saying that they were on their way up. Turns out they called the house just to check in, and the neighbor answered and told them what happened. So they left immediately and headed up towards our house. My father-in-law and brother-in-law went to the house to help with the girls, and my mil came to the hospital to give Gretch and I a chance to go eat – much appreciated – which we did since K was fast asleep and we were just waiting on test results.
Long story longer, all his tests came back fine. He’s more himself today. Playing and smiling and laughing. He’s not one hundred percent, but he’s close. Maybe eighty-five. He went to the neurologist and they agreed that everything looked normal and it was probably just a febrile seizure brought on by dehydration. The only weird thing is that febrile seizures usually are accompanied by a spike in temperature, but his temp had been normal throughout this whole illness. But the neurologist says that sometimes that happens, so now all we can do is watch and hope and pray that it doesn’t happen again.