» Life as a Stay-At-Home-Dad of Triplets

Masthead header

North Myrtle Beach

After a long day and a half on the road, we made it to North Myrtle Beach, South Carolina. We left after lunch on Friday and made a small detour to pick up Gretchen’s brother, George. After some diaper changing and a little run around time, we hit the road. A few stops later, we made it to Charleston, West Virginia, our destination for the night, just before bedtime. The kids slept pretty well in their peapods, which are like tents for toddlers, and come in very handy in places like hotel rooms or vacation condos. The next morning we met up with Gretchen’s parents, who stayed at the same hotel we did for the night, only they got there a few hours after us. We all had breakfast and hit the road bright and early!

I have to say, for 22 month olds, they did really well in the van. We did have our Elmo DVD’s and some new toys for them to play with, but all in all, they were pretty quiet for being couped up in the van for a day and a half. We did stop at some rest stops and let them run around and stretch their legs a bit. We even found a playground somewhere in Virginia that the kids got to play on. They all had a pretty good time, even though J took a header into the mulch and cut her lip pretty good.
By the time we got to Myrtle Beach on Saturday, we had just enough time to unpack the van, let the kids run around the condo a bit, and then put them to bed. Which was good, because I needed some Elmo-free time to decompress after the long drive.
Sunday we drove down to Myrtle Beach and found Broadway on the Beach, an expansive collection of shops and restaurants. We all had lunch at Margaritaville. The kids loved their chicken fingers and fries, and E shared a very sour pickle with daddy, which was quite a site. She made some great faces, but kept on eating!! By the time we were done eating, it was almost nap time, so we headed back to the condo and the trips, daddy and grandpa napped while mommy and grandma went shopping for some supplies.
After naps, we had a light dinner and then headed out to the beach with the kids. the girls did not like the sand on their feet at all, but seemed to love the water. K really didn’t know what to make of it all. He had a very concerned look on his face the whole time and stayed really close to an adult at all times. The girls were smiling and giggling the whole time, unless they noticed the sand on their feet, then there was crying. By the time we got rinsed off and back to the condo, it was almost time for bed. And that was our first full day in North Myrtle Beach, South Carolina. I’ll have plenty of pictures and video to post, as soon as I can (the internet connection here is a little slow).
GarzillaJuly 20, 2009 - 6:32 pm

I can not wait to take my boys to the beach. Sounded like a good time.

The Texas TrioJuly 21, 2009 - 12:00 pm

Try taking them on the beach at night to look for crabs. Our three LOVED it at 30 months. They even ended up catching some little ones with their hands.

Have fun,